He was born in Tallahassee, Florida to entrepreneur Muslim parents Shasheem Najm and Aliyah Najm. At the age of ten, Faheem reworked his bedroom into a small studio with a keyboard, beat machine and four-track recorder, and began composing music. Faheem later graduated from James S. Rickards High School. Prior to becoming a solo singer, Faheem was part of the Tallahassee rap group Nappy Headz, allowing T-Pain to start his career as a solo artist. In 2002, he founded his own label, Hard & B, and soon caught the spotlight as a solo artist when his song "I'm Fucked Up", a reworked version of Akon's "Locked Up", gained popularity in the region. Akon noticed the song and signed T-Pain to his newly formed Konvict Music record label.
2005: Rappa Ternt Sanga
T-Pain released his solo debut title single, "I'm Sprung", in August 2005. His debut album, Rappa Ternt Sanga, ("rapper turned singer") was released on November 6, 2005, under Konvict Music. Guest appearances included Mike Jones, Trick Daddy, Youngbloodz, Styles P., Akon, BoneCrusher, & Tay Dizm. Hit singles "I'm Sprung" and "I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper)" which sold over 5 million ringtones spawned official remixes titled "I'm Sprung 2" with Trick Daddy and YoungBloodZ, and "I'm N Luv (Wit a Stripper), The Remix" with Twista, Pimp C, Paul Wall, R. Kelly, MJG and Too Short. He is featured on E-40's 2006 summer hit single U and Dat along with Kandi Girl, which was produced by Lil Jon. One of his leftover tracks is "You And Me", original version of the song "I Can't Wait" by Akon.
He has released his second album Epiphany on the 5th of June, 2007, that features "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" and "Bartender" featuring Akon. This album has shipped platinum. Guest appearances included Yung Joc, Akon, Shawnna, Cham, Kardinal Offishall and Jay Lyriq. During that time, he has appeared on the remix of R. Kelly's "I'm a Flirt", with T.I., Bow Wow's "Outta My System", Fabolous's "Baby Don't Go", Plies's "Shawty", Chris Brown's "Kiss Kiss", & Kanye West's "Good Life". His new single is "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" featuring Yung Joc, which he produced for his upcoming album Church. The video for "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" was released April 9, and the song went to #1. It contains cameos by Jay-Z, Huey, Shawnna, and E-40. He is recently featured on Flo-Rida's debut single, "Low". Even more recently, he was featured in Lil' Mama's single "Shawty Get Loose" alongside with Chris Brown. He has released a song for MySpace lovers, called "What's Your Myspace" featuring Tay Dizm. He released a song with Florida Artist J-Shin, called "Send Me An E-Mail". The video for the song was co-directed by T-Pain and fellow Floridian filmmaker JOKES and co-starred "MySpace Queen" Tila Tequila. It is said that T-Pain helped Miami rappers Plies and Flo-Rida start their music career through their debut singles.
So far, T-Pain and his label mate Tay Dizm has been featured on Dolla (rapper)'s "Who the Fuck is That?" and 2 Pistols "She Got It". T-Pain has also appeared on Rick Ross's "The Boss", Lil Mama's "Shawty Get Loose" with Chris Brown and Mariah Carey's "Migrate" and had featured songs on the Step Up 2 The Streets soundtrack which included "Church", "Low" (with Flo Rida) and wrote "Lives in the Da Club" by Sophia Fresh featuring Jay Lyriq. He produced some of Mega-Platinum Artist Ciara's New Album "Fantasy Ride" coming out in September.. For the 2008 BET Awards, the most nominations were awarded to T-Pain, at five primarily for his work in other artists' tracks.
2008: Thr33 Ringz
He is releasing his third studio album, Thr33 Ringz. It is tentatively set to release on September 30, 2008, the same day as his birthday. He has stated Toby Keith is planning to perform a track with him , as well as Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit on another. T-Pain has also stated on his MySpace page that he would like to work with Daft Punk. Ciara and Akon are rumored to be on the album as well.
The first single off the album "Snap Yo Fingers" features Lil Wayne and should be released to the radio airplay in June 2008. It is also stated that a music video is in the works.
T-Pain will have a recurring role as a drug dealer on the FX series, The Shield.
Awards and nominations
* American Music Awards
o 2007, Favorite Male Artist [Nominated]
* Grammy Awards
o 2008, Album of the Year (Graduation) [Nominate
o 2008, Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group ("Bartender") [Nominated]
o 2008, Best Rap/Sung Collaboration ("Good Life") With Kanye West - [Nominated]
o 2008, Best Rap/Sung Collaboration ("Kiss Kiss") - Nominated
* MTV Video Music Award
o 2007, Monster Single of the Year ("Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin)") [Nominated]
* Vibe Awards
o 2007, Best R&B Artist [Nominated]
o 2007, Best Collaboration ("Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin)") [Nominated]
o 2007, Song of the Year ("Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin)") - Winner
* Ozone Music Awards
o 2007, Best Male R&B Artist [Award]
o 2007, Best Rap/R&B Collaboration with Plies ("Shawty") [Award]
* 2005: Rappa Ternt Sanga
* 2007: Epiphany
* 2008: Thr33 Ringz
Projects In Progress
* 2008: The Best Of Both Worlds With Lil Wayne
* 2008: No Love Without Pain
* 2005: No Love Without Pain
* 2006: Back at It
* 2007: Here Comes the Pain
* 2007: Here Comes the Pain 2
* 2008: The Midas Touch Man
* 2005: "I'm Sprung"
* 2006: "I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper)" (featuring Mike Jones)
* 2006: "Studio Luv"
* 2007: "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" (featuring Yung Joc)
* 2007: "Bartender" (featuring Akon)
* 2007: "Church"
* 2008: "Silver & Gold"
* 2008: "Snap Yo Fingers" (featuring Lil Wayne)
* 2006: "U and Dat" (E-40 featuring T-Pain & Kandi Girl)
* 2007: "I'm a Flirt (Remix)" (R. Kelly featuring T.I. & T-Pain)
* 2007: "Outta My System" (Bow Wow featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Shawty" (Plies featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Baby Don't Go" (Fabolous featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Cyclone" (Baby Bash featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "I'm So Hood" (DJ Khaled featuring Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, Plies, & T-Pain)
* 2007: "Kiss Kiss" (Chris Brown featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Good Life" (Kanye West featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Low" (Flo-Rida featuring T-Pain)
* 2007: "Who the Fuck Is That?" (Dolla featuring T-Pain & Tay Dizm)
* 2008: "Shawty Get Loose" (Lil Mama featuring Chris Brown & T-Pain)
* 2008: "She Got It" (2 Pistols featuring T-Pain & Tay Dizm)
* 2008: "The Boss" (Rick Ross featuring T-Pain)
* 2008: "Cash Flow" (Ace Hood featuring Rick Ross & T-Pain)
* 2008: "Beam Me Up" (Tay Dizm featuring T-Pain & Rick Ross)
* 2008: "I Ain't Mad" (Trick Daddy featuring T-Pain)
* 2008: "Got Money" (Lil Wayne featuring T-Pain)
* 2008: "Moon of Dreams" (Ruslana featuring T-Pain)